Online multiplayer is now working.

A forum for online playing, administration, bugs and feature requests
ace123
Lead Network Developer
Lead Network Developer

Re: Online multiplayer is now working.

Post by ace123 »

I was basically saying that the initial list of admins is hardcoded to anybody who connects to "localhost" (127.0.0.1).

If you want to change this, you'd have to edit the python script (that auth=1 line I suggested). Once you've run /setadmin on yourself and saved your game, you can remove the hack, and then you'll keep the status--which means that not everybody will have the status.
greenmonkey
Atmospheric Pilot
Atmospheric Pilot

Post by greenmonkey »

I get this when I go into http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/register_submit.py and put in a username, password and ship, but then again, it did say there were no servers hosting multiplayer... Am I doing something wrong?

--> -->

IOError Python 2.4.3: /usr/bin/python
Sat Apr 16 02:30:31 2011

A problem occurred in a Python script. Here is the sequence of function calls leading up to the error, in the order they occurred.
/home/project-web/vegastrike/cgi-bin/register_submit.py
76 mod = os.environ.get('QUERY_STRING','')
77 conn = db.connect(settings.dbconfig, mod)
78 if post_args:
79 execute(conn, mod, post_args)
execute = <function execute>, conn = <db.FileDB instance>, mod = '', post_args = {'faction': 'unadorned', 'password': 'greenmonkey', 'type': 'Kafka', 'username': 'greenmonkey'}
/home/project-web/vegastrike/cgi-bin/register_submit.py in execute(dbconn=<db.FileDB instance>, mod='', form={'faction': 'unadorned', 'password': 'greenmonkey', 'type': 'Kafka', 'username': 'greenmonkey'})
42 type = dbconn.check_string( form.get("type",'') )
44 if not dbconn.check_password(username, password, True):
45 raise db.DBError,"Error password for username "+username+" does not match our records"
dbconn = <db.FileDB instance>, dbconn.check_password = <bound method FileDB.check_password of <db.FileDB instance>>, username = 'greenmonkey', password = 'greenmonkey', builtin True = True
/home/project-web/vegastrike/cgi-bin/db.py in check_password(self=<db.FileDB instance>, username='greenmonkey', password='greenmonkey', can_create=True)
232 except IOError:
233 if self.create_user and can_create:
234 f=open(self.user_path+username+".password","wb")
235 f.write(self.hash_password(password))
236 f.close()
f undefined, builtin open = <type 'file'>, self = <db.FileDB instance>, self.user_path = '/home/persistent/v/ve/vegastrike/accountserver/', username = 'greenmonkey'

IOError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: '/home/persistent/v/ve/vegastrike/accountserver/greenmonkey.password'
args = (2, 'No such file or directory')
errno = 2
filename = '/home/persistent/v/ve/vegastrike/accountserver/greenmonkey.password'
strerror = 'No such file or directory'
Gungnir
Mercenary
Mercenary

Post by Gungnir »

greenmonkey wrote:I get this when I go into http://vegastrike.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/register_submit.py and put in a username, password and ship, but then again, it did say there were no servers hosting multiplayer... Am I doing something wrong?

The python is apparently broken there, but it doesn't matter, since that is only for the official VS servers, which are down as you said. Tharin's register scripts are working right now, I believe, and it's the only currently working server as far as I know.
~Gungnir

segfault wrote:if I was actually in space I'd totally be throwing on autopilot and relaxing in the back during the trip, sipping space wine and listening (rlaan?) jazz.

Rig: i5 2500k @ 5ghz, 2x OCZ Agility 3 120gb SSD boot drives, AMD Radeon HD 7950 @ 1100/1575 (Catalyst 12.1 Linux and 12.3 Windows), dual-boot Fedora 16 KDE and Windows 7 Pro
psychoticpotato
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Post by psychoticpotato »

Darn... Are there any public servers going? This game is perfect for some realistic interaction...
pheonixstorm
Elite
Elite

Post by pheonixstorm »

No, the Tharin server was the last public server that was operational. If we can move to a dedicated server then we will be setting up a new online server via www.vegastrikeonline.org Just waiting on the all important money.. either from the few devs still active or from donations.
Because of YOU Arbiter, MY kids? can't get enough gas. OR NIPPLE! How does that mkae you feeeel? ~ Halo
psychoticpotato
Star Pilot
Star Pilot

Post by psychoticpotato »

Yeah... I'm considering trying to learn some programming, with all the open-source games I like to play that are fairly stagnant... Vega Strike is probably one of my favourite space games out there, it's a shame to see it with little work being done on it.
wesL48
Atmospheric Pilot
Atmospheric Pilot

Post by wesL48 »

pheonixstorm wrote:No, the Tharin server was the last public server that was operational. If we can move to a dedicated server then we will be setting up a new online server via http://www.vegastrikeonline.org Just waiting on the all important money.. either from the few devs still active or from donations.

How much money is required to get this going? I am willing to donate, but I think a funding drive with displayed progress towards the goal is useful for donators.
pheonixstorm
Elite
Elite

Post by pheonixstorm »

For a dedicated server about $200 setup and 40 a month (until offer expires then 50/month). I was in the process of getting something setup for donations off the forums until the crash. Our current service is virtual dedicated which is not useable for extended mmo play.
Because of YOU Arbiter, MY kids? can't get enough gas. OR NIPPLE! How does that mkae you feeeel? ~ Halo
charlieg
Elite Mercenary
Elite Mercenary

Post by charlieg »

Hetzner do a good deal at 49euros a month with 49euros setup.

They also do an auction of rental of used hardware which goes as low as 19euros monthly:
https://robot.your-server.de/order/market
Free Gamer - free software games compendium and commentary!
FreeGameDev forum - open source game development community
ThinkSome
Explorer
Explorer

Post by ThinkSome »

Hello,

What is today's state of multiplayer? I would like to organise a public libre game night match in the near future.

How many resources (RAM, disk, bandwidth, cpu) do the server components consume?
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

Never worked right 0nly 1v1 and we are in the process of refactoring the code to actually dropping all the network code as it was way out of date with current practice.We may reintroduce it when we get a compiling/working binary for current OS's

Enjoy the Choice :)
my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
ThinkSome
Explorer
Explorer

Post by ThinkSome »

That is sad to know. Single player games become boring rather quick.

Have you thought about implementing singleplayer as local multiplayer?
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

Do you mean lan play for local the current code only supports 1 on 1 there is no real support for true multi-player period a dream that was not realized sorry but that's how it is ATM like I said earlier the low level networking code just is way out of date for current web security issues and even local LAN play is problematic with current firewall practice.

my box::HP Envy i5-6400 @2Q70GHzx4 8 Gb ram/1 Tb(Win10 64)/3 Tb Mint 19.2/GTX745 4Gb acer S243HL K222HQL
Q8200/Asus P5QDLX/8 Gb ram/WD 2Tb 2-500 G HD/GF GT640 2Gb Mint 17.3 64 bit Win 10 32 bit acer and Lenovo ideapad 320-15ARB Win 10/Mint 19.2
ThinkSome
Explorer
Explorer

Post by ThinkSome »

I meant having singleplayer be a special case of multiplayer. That is, a server is started, the player connects and when the player disconnects, the server is stopped.
loki1950
The Shepherd

Post by loki1950 »

That would require a full refactoring of the whole code base about a year's work
ThinkSome
Explorer
Explorer

Post by ThinkSome »

A year's work at the current pace sounds a bit too easy :D